The internet is amazing and is something many of us wouldn’t be able to live without. For many people the internet is simply used to browse popular sites such as Facebook and Twitter, however, there’s a lot more to it.
Here are 5 facts about the internet you may not have known:
1) Humans account for less than 50% of the traffic: I know what you’re thinking; then who’s responsible for this traffic?
Have you ever come across something like the image above? These checks are actually there to counter robots on the web. This is due to the fact that approximately 56% of all traffic on the web comes from bots rather than humans!
2) People still use dial-up! Remember the days of dial-up? In case you don’t, the dial-up period was one where the user would have to wait ages to download files and would have to choose between making use of the internet or a landline phone. AOL dial-up still has over 200,000 registered users paying monthly subscription fees for the service!
3) Over 200 billion emails are sent every day: Email has become one of the most predominant forms of communication across the globe. Many companies nowadays choose to contact their clients via email due to its ease of use and effectiveness.
4) Hacking: Roughly 30,000 websites are hacked every single day. Hackers use powerful computer programs to spot vulnerable websites which can be hacked relatively easily. Many large companies have been hacked over the years, including Microsoft and Sony!
5) China has the most internet users: China has an estimated 640 million internet users. While this may seem obvious to some since it has the largest population on Earth, the total number of internet users in China is double the amount of the entire Unites States population!
Click here to check out our previous article