There are lots of questions that you need to ask yourself when trying to come up with the perfect company name. A brand promises an experience, so it’s important that the name gives the right impression. Here are some tips on how to come up with a company name that reflects your brand:
Do your homework
When choosing your company name, it’s a good idea to do some research and come to terms with a few factors, such as:
- How abstract do you want the name to be?
- Do you want to the name to sound traditional or modern?
- Keep your customers in mind – long or confusing words can hinder your brand’s success
- Think about logo possibilities and where it will be incorporated – website, signage, stationery, advertisements, business cards, emails, etc…
- See that the name is original and different from anything else to make it easier for customers to find on the Internet
- If you aim to go international, make sure the name doesn’t mean anything inappropriate in another language
- Focusing on the local market? Consider using the city or town name in the company name
- Do your research about “sensitive words” – words that can give a false impression of your company
- Check for domain name availability when you get some name ideas
Spending some time figuring out these factors can help you to have a clearer idea of where you’d like to go with your company name, and how you’d like it to represent your brand.
Establish what you want from your brand
When you create a brand, you could think of it as creating a person – you need to give it character, a personality, and ultimately something you’ll be proud of. It needs to be consistent and provide positive experiences to keep customers coming back and new ones coming in. So think about what you want your brand to stand for:
- Good management
- Great quality
- Fantastic value
Such characteristics will help to build a solid reputation for your company, so make sure you advertise them through your company name and logo.
Be clever with your logo
A company logo is generally the first thing customers see, and the thing they remember most, so you need to make sure that your logo design truly reflects what you want to promote about your brand. A logo needs to be attractive, enticing, and memorable. Some company owners choose logos that give no hint of what the company does, so if you’re interested in using an abstract logo, make sure that you somehow explain it through your company name or slogan – otherwise, potential customers will have no idea what you do.
If you’re looking for company name ideas, check out Namerific’s shop of brandable domain names that come with creative logos made by our awesome designers.